Monday, August 23, 2010

The Homemade Difference

I Took The Handmade Pledge! BuyHandmade.org

Ever since I decided to sell my beadwork and began marketing online, I've found so many other extremely talented artists who make anything you can imagine, and then some!  Why didn't I know that there was so much out there?  Why didn't I ever think to look at such places when I needed a new barrette, jewelry, glassware, beads, supplies, clothing, books, accessories, decorations, key chains, dog toys, animal and pet products, furniture, etc., etc., etc.  The list items for sale by individuals goes on and on and on.  And the amazing part is that this stuff is homemade or reconstructed  vintage items!

People everywhere are finding new uses for old items, creating new and innovative designs, supplies, artwork, and so much more!  I am big on taking care of our Mother Earth and love to implement the 3 R's, REDUCE, REUSE AND RECYCLE!  I love finding new uses for items, and now I see that there are many, many people out there who do the same at so many levels.  I am utterly amazed each time I go snooping around at others' shops.

The time and effort that people put into their craft is astonishing.  Without fancy factory tools, machinery, and line workers, people apply good old-fashioned techniques in making many items, and the kicker is that the old-fashioned ways tend to deliver higher quality products.  It might take more time to do things the old way, but the artisan then has the opportunity to look it over, to test each item, to reinforce any loose stitches, and ensure that the outgoing product meets quality standards.

I have noticed that sometimes the prices are a little higher when something is homemade, but then again, it rarely fails that you get what you pay for.  What it all comes down to is this:  I made the "buy handmade" pledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails